Nano Tek-On provides Green Circle TiO2 (titanium dioxide) coatings that make a wide variety of surfaces self-cleaning. The TiO2 is permanently affixed, where it acts as catalyst in the breakdown (oxidization) of the organic molecules, including bacteria, viruses, fungi, microorganisms, mold, algae, mildew, oils, organic particulates, and dirt in general. This done, the remaining particulates fall away, or are washed away by rain or a quick spray of water.
Benefits of Nano TiO2 Coatings:
* Prevents the growth of algae, mold, bacteria and viruses
* Extends the usable life of the surface.
* Helps prevent cracking from water absorption, expansion and contraction, and from extreme temperature change
* Maintains surface color
* Provides protection against grease, oil and road grime
* Airborne contaminants such as bacteria, smoke, car exhaust, and molds cannot adhere to surfaces treated
The Basic Science behind Green Circle TiO2 Coatings
The basic mechanism behind the effectiveness of Green Circle products is straightforward. In the presence of UV light from the sun or fluorescent light, the permanent Green Circle TiO2 coating catalyzes a reaction in ambient oxygen and water vapor, creating hydroxyl radicals. These hydroxyl radicals are highly reactive and they rapidly break down any organic compounds exposed to them, including bacteria, viruses, mold, algae, mildew, oils, organic particulates, and dirt in general. These organic contaminants are continuously destroyed, and never have a chance to grow on, or adhere to, the treated surface. The decomposed compounds are shed directly, or easily washed off with water (including even rain), resulting in a self-cleaning effect.
The hydroxyl radicals also react with odorous substances and air pollutants, like nitrogen oxides (NOx) and organic respirable dust. In this way, TiO2 coatings also clean air and deodorize.
Even aggressive germs like SARS and H5N1 are reliably fought if they have contact with the surface.
The first known patent related to this reactive process was from NASA in 1972, and since that time there have been more than 500 patents issued on the same subject. With the recent exception of infused glass treatments however, none of this science resulted in user-friendly products until Green Circle was able to overcome a number of technical hurdles:
• Until a few years ago, the producers of TiO2 were only able to make larger micron- and macro-size particles, not tiny nano-size particles. As a TiO2 particle catalyzes the same reaction regardless of size, this meant that not enough of these large particles could be squeezed into a given area to have meaningful effect.
• For the process to work, Green Circle had to develop specialized inorganic coatings that could hold the TiO2 in permanent suspension, without themselves being consumed by the reaction the TiO2 catalyzes.
• Also for the process to work, the inorganic coating had to bond well with a wide variety of substance materials, yet still suspend the TiO2 on its outer surface / interface so that it could act properly as a catalyst.
• These problems have now been solved, resulting in an amazing self-cleaning disinfectant product that Nano Tek-On provides for both home and office environments.